Obs was a fantastic experience.
There's so much to say I really don't know where to start. These five days, there's been alot of different emotions and thoughts going through me. Alot of things that made me think. I never thought this experience would be so overwhelming and until now I'm abit numbed. Obs has been such a real and practical learning experience when you go through real things and real situations and learn. Its been tough, no doubt, but it was definitely worth it. Elizabeth C, I'm going to miss you. 5 days of being stuck together and forced to be with each other and work together, all of you have taught me something and helped me learn and understand. Tracy was a fabulous instructor, forcing us to think for ourselves, to be independent, responsive and reflective and through all this she made us, at least me, feel comfortable. Although she may not remember us as she has some many courses, I know that this experience will not fade for quite long. We started off by knowing only a few people around the group in Day One and it was really not warmed up and abit reserved. To be very frank, I wasn't very very excited about Obs. Alot of things were holding me back. The fact that I didn't know what to expect was one thing and my dying knees were another. Obs really definitely made me do things that I never thought that I'd do in my life. I never knew I was able to trek with such a heavy bag and I never knew that I could do jetty jump and actually not freak out. For me, heights was a very very huge thing. I'm terrified of heights and I won't go close to the railings on the third level of a shopping centre. And seriously, even the belaying school pole was terrifying. I'm so glad for jetty jump and trust dive I was able to control myself and compose myself and psycho myself into doing it. I think I'm someone who actually has to find the strength to do stuff from within and no matter how hard people beside me push, if I don't want to do it I won't. I really think that council camp really prepared me mentally and physically for Obs. I not only learnt about myself, I learnt how to lead how to interact with others. And Tracy thought something very very true: Do not implicate your expecations on others. I think at the outset I actually expected quite alot from my watch mates, like for everyone to be committed and go all out. But I realised that everyone thought differently of the camp. Some dreaded it and didn't want to come and some were super excited about Obs. And that obviously affected their commitment. And everyone has different capabilities and not everyone expects as much from themselves. We shouldn't say "Ohmy. You bag is so super light lah." and stuff like that. Cos people have different limits. For me it wasn't much about going out of my comfort zone and I didn't think much about home or anything else, it was about challenging my limits, not discounting myself or others and determination and leadership in practical situations. Alot of lessons were learnt with the help of Tracy and all in Elizabeth C. and Marshall. Practical lessons but yet valuable. I think in SecTwo I drew alot and thought about things that are deeper and more complicated. Abt how people react and people interact. Obs is a wonderful experience that everyone should go for. I just understand those people who just give stupid reasons not to go for Obs. Ohwell their lost. Thanks to Cheryl Lianghui Sarah Siewying Yihong Yuanyi for making Obs so enjoyable.
I really love Nycd and Laoshi.